CIS2010 Literacy Screening Test
For the CIS2010 course the prerequisites are:
- completion of CIS/CS 1010 course with a grade of C or better, or
- appropriate score on the Computer Information System computer literacy screening test.
The test is available in the Assessment and Testing Center in Tivoli Room 347. For their office hours, policies and procedures, and other useful information, check the Web site. To make reservation call the Testing Center during their regular office hours.
When taking the test read the instructions on the front page and follow them step by step. You shall expect 50 questions related to major topics below. These are general computer, word processing and very basic spreadsheet questions.
Prerequisite knowledge for CIS2010:
- Main memory (RAM, ROM, PROM, etc.)
- Firmware/essential business applications
- Types of computers (Super, mainframe, micro)
- What determines computer speed
- Microprocessing chips (types, uses, size, speed, data size)
- Input devices/Output devices
- Basic Security and privacy issues
- Reading-writing in English
- Oral communication
- Disk maintenance and backup; file copies, backups; housekeeping; output control
- GUI skills, window manipulation, integrated files, clipboard, cut copy and paste functions
- Windows accessories (WordPad, Paint)
- Basic Windows file and folder management
- Sending messages and files, within and without the domain
- Addressing, uploads and downloads
- Using a browser
- Basic Word Processing skills (creating, formatting, using tabs)
- Sorting, footnote, header and footer construction, print control
- Spreadsheet constants and variables, making a dynamic spreadsheet with formulas and functions, and absolute and relative cell references.
- Excel charting, graphing embellishments
- Database tables, queries, forms and reports
To Find Study Materials go to: http://www.msudenver.edu/cis1010/pretest.html
General instructions for the test:
- Read the instructions carefully and complete all the steps.
- Put on the answer sheet:
- your name
- ID number, and
- the test name (A, B, …, J, K)
- Use the Scantron Scoring Sheet provided to you to mark the best answer for each question.
- DO NOT WRITE ON THE TEST.
- Check your answer sheet for stray marks, duplicates, or blanks before turning it in. Answer sheets will not be adjusted once scored.
- You have 30 minutes to answer the questions.
- You have to reach the 70% level to be successful with the literacy screening test.
- The test results will be entered twice a week into Banner during the registration period. If you succeeded you will be able to register to the CIS2010 course.
- If you are not successful, you make retake the test one additional time, or sign up for CIS/CSS 1010 course. If you complete the course with a grade of C or better you can enroll in CIS 2010 in the next semester.