You must regularly monitor ConnectU account for messages and information regarding preparation for the graduation process and the Commencement Ceremony. You will be sent reminder e-mails messages throughout the semester with information on cap and gown rental, graduation honors, graduation announcements, class rings, reporting time at the PE Event Center, maps, etc.
The Office of the Registrar's Graduation Services (located on the 1st Floor- SSB #160) approves adjustments to students’ CAPP report, determines graduation eligibility, performs final degree checks, and distributes diplomas. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for any of these services.
Commencement Ceremony Photos
Grad Images is commencements professional photographer who will take pictures of each candidate as he or she receives the degree. The photographer will contact each candidate by email one week following the ceremony regarding the option of purchasing photos. While in the graduate assembly area, please write a legible non-MSU Denver email address on the back of your name card in order for the photographer to contact you in a timely manner. You may also update your address and/or order prints by contacting GradTrak by phone (1-800-261-2576) or e-mail email@example.com.
Access the MSU Denver Graduation Checklist ( 371 KB)
Application for Graduation
In order to determine eligibility to graduate, all Seniors must fill out a Graduation Application. The Graduation Application deadline for Spring 2013 has passed (February 8th, 2013).
The Summer 2013 Graduation Application deadline is on June 7th, 2013.
If you miss the deadline, you will need to apply for a subsequent semester. There are no exceptions for late graduation applications. If you have any questions or concerns regarding this deadline, please contact Graduation Services in the Office of the Registrar at 303-556-3985.
For more information regarding the application and degree requirements, visit Graduation Evaluation.
Caps and Gowns
Custom-designed by Herff-Jones, the MSU Denver gowns feature the University’s insignia and school colors. The gowns are blue with red trim, and the official University seal is embroidered on the lapel. All graduating seniors must wear these at the commencement ceremony.
CAP AND GOWN PREORDER
The deadline for reserving your cap and gown online was March 22, 2013. Additional cap and gowns have been ordered and will be available for you to pick up at the Grad Finalé. If you did not pre-order, please remember to bring cash to rent your cap and gown and buy other additional items.
Cap and gown prices:
Undergraduate - $36.00
Master graduate - $64.00
Red/Blue souvenir tassel - $8.75
*Part of your rental includes your school's designated tassel
There will also be honor cords and extra degree tassels available during Grad Finalé. Please remember to bring cash to buy those specific items. We will send email reminders to the graduation candidates – so be sure to check your email regularly!
Grad Finalé will be on Tuesday, May 7, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. and Wednesday, May 8, 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. in the Student Success Building, 1st and 2nd floor main lobbies.
Graduation Announcements and Class Rings
Personalized announcements may be purchased online through either CBgrad.com or Herff-Jones.com. Non-personalized announcements are also available now in the Auraria Campus Bookstore.
Orders for class rings may be made online at Jostens.com, as well as at the Spring 2013 Grad Finale.
Map and Assembly Area Diagram
Assembly Area Diagram ( 217 KB)
Assembly Area Procedures
STUDENTS REPORT AT 7:30 A.M. to the Graduate Assembly Area which will be located in the Gym of the PE Event Center.
Refer to the Assembly Area Diagram to determine your school and major area. Line up within your major department, which will be marked on the floor in back of your school sign. Once in line, a card showing your name, major, and degree honor status WILL BE BROUGHT TO YOU. The card must be kept and presented to the reader on stage when you come forward to be acknowledged. While in the graduate assembly area, please write a legible non-MSU Denver email address on the back in order for the photographer to contact you.
At 8:45 a.m. you will walk in four columns into the Commencement ceremony area and to the academic seating area. YOU MUST STAY IN THE PROPER LINE UNTIL YOU ARE SEATED.
As candidates from your department/school come forward, you will approach the stage. As soon as you hand the reader your name card, proceed immediately to center stage to receive your degree, exiting through the central staircase before returning to your seat.
Additional Commencement Notes
- If you are a candidate for graduation and have a disability, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates who have family members with disabilities (wheelchair, walker, hearing or visual impairment) that are going to attend the Commencement Ceremony will need to reserve tickets for the ADA seating area through our registration system. To reserve these tickets please visit our ADA section. ADA seating tickets must be picked up either during Grad Finale in the Student Success Building first and second floor main lobbies on Tuesday, May 7th and Wednesday, May 8th from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. or in the Student Success Building (Suite 430) the week of May 13-17 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- There is no rehearsal for the Commencement Ceremony.
- No tickets are required for guests attending the ceremony. No seating is reserved for groups.
- Candidates' coats may be hung in the Graduate Assembly Area; however, this should not be considered a secured area.
- Family and guests should be in their seats by 8:55 a.m.
- The tassel on the cap is to be worn on the RIGHT side until you are instructed at the end of the ceremony to switch your tassel.
- Grad Images is commencements professional photographer who will take pictures of each candidate as he or she receives the degree. The photographer will contact each candidate by email three to four days following the ceremony regarding the option of purchasing photos. While in the graduate assembly area, please write a legible non-MSU Denver email address on the back of your name card in order for the photographer to contact you in a timely manner.
- Teacher licensure students should request their name card from the area of their major. They may then participate with the Teacher Education department (EDUC), if they wish.
- Actual spring diplomas will not be available at the commencement ceremony. Candidates will be notified by mail at the end of June regarding the dates diplomas may be picked up or mailed.
- Official transcripts with spring degrees posted will be available late June. You must request official degree transcripts. One will not automatically be sent to you. Please be informed that neither a transcript nor the diploma will be released until the student has cleared all debts to the University, and, if you have a Perkins Loan, you will need to complete the necessary Perkins Loan interview.
- You are eligible to register for classes for one year following your graduation. Check ConnectU for this and other information.