Q. What is assertiveness?
A. Expressing what you want, think,and feel in an appropriate, direct, and comfortable way.
- Assertiveness falls in the middle of the continuum:
Q. Why is assertiveness useful?
A. It gives you more confidence and positive self-esteem.
- It allows you to be respected by others.
- It helps you receive the outcome you want.
Q. How can I become assertive?A. Use assertive body language.
- Make direct eye contact
- Speak clearly and firmly
- Keep an upright posture
- Arrive at a compromise instead of giving in to the other person’s demands.
- Stand up for what you want and need.
- Do not allow yourself to be manipulated into doing things you do not want to do.
- Practice "I" statements as opposed to "You" statements that place blame.
"You" statements are statements that use you
- I feel...
- I am...
- I want...
- You did...