Frequently Asked Questions
There are two guidebooks that provide detailed information about the faculty evaluation process. The Guidebook for Portfolio Preparation provides information about preparing a Portfolio and the review process. The Using Digital Measures for Portfolio Preparation and Submission describes how faculty can use Digital Measures to store, organize and report information about their teaching, scholarly activities, and service, as well as how to prepare a Portfolio Report based on the information.
The questions listed below are not specifically addressed in either of the guidebooks mentioned above, but are often asked by faculty who are using Digital Measures to prepare their Portfolios.
Click on the question to hide/show the answer.
If you are experiencing difficulty logging into Digital Measures, you may need to resync your new MetroConnect and ADMIN password to access the system.
- Login to MetroConnect (https://connectu.msudenver.edu) using the new credentials (username and temporary password) that you received from IT via a phone call or email. Note: If you did not receive your new credentials or cannot successfully login to ConnectU using them, contact the IT Service Center (http://www.msudenver.edu/technology/academiccomputing/metrostatehelpdesk/).
- After you are logged into ConnectU:
- Click on the My Services/Registration tab.
- Click on the first My Services/Registration link.
- A message should appear saying "Password validation successful. Click Here to continue". This message means that your password is now synced.
- Try to login to Digital Measures via the Metro State Digital Measures webpage (http://www.msudenver.edu/digitalmeasures/) using your new credentials. If you still cannot login to Digital Measures successfully, your ADMIN domain (computer login) and MetroConnect passwords are still not synchronized, so you will need to contact the IT Service Center (http://www.msudenver.edu/technology/academiccomputing/metrostatehelpdesk/).
Yearly Data and Scheduled Teaching data will be imported into Digital Measures. After the faculty evaluation data is finalized by the Office of Institutional research, the scheduled teaching data will be updated with faculty SRI data. (Note: It takes approximately 3 weeks for Digital Measures to complete this step).
The Yearly Data and Scheduled Teaching information that is imported into Digital Measures from Banner only goes back to the 2005-2006 academic year.
To see the Student Ratings of Instruction for individual course sections, go to the "Scheduled Teaching" screen and select the pencil icon (under the EDIT column) next to the course you would like to view. The SRIs for the course section are listed near the center of the screen.
Right-click the hyperlink and select the Open Hyperlink option from the menu. If you are not logged into a computer that is connected to the Metro State network, you will be prompted twice for your login credentials. You should use the username and password that you use to login to your computer that is located at Metro. The only difference is that you will need to add “admin\” before your username (e.g., admin\yourusername).
It may be the browser you are using. If you are using Internet Explorer 7, we have noticed a problem with it downloading files stored in Digital Measures. You could try using Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) as your browser or upgrading your version of Internet Explorer from 7 to the latest version (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/products/ie/home).
Portfolio Report Preparation
When you run reports in Digital Measures, you need to select a large enough date range (in step 2) to have all of your data included on the reports. You should select a Start Date that encompasses the information as far back as you want to report and an End Date that is as far into the future as you would like to report. For example, if you want to include data as far back as 1995, then select the year 1995 from the Start Date drop-down menu. Similarly, if you have written books and/or articles that will be published in 2012, and you want to include them on your Portfolio Report, select the year 2012 from the End Date drop-down list.
The Narrative is the discussion of your teaching, scholarly activities, and service. You will use the "Portfolio Narrative Scree"n to upload your file with your Narrative. After you create your Narrative, you may upload it into Digital Measures in any file format you wish. Word or PDF would be the file types accessible for most reviewers to read. Note: For more information about how to write your Narrative, please review the Guidebook for Portfolio Preparation or contact the Center for Faculty Development. For information about where to input certain types of activities in Digital Measures, please review the Metro State Digital Measures User's Guide for Porfolio Preparation.
You will need to designate which annual review year you are completing by performing the following steps:
- Click the Portfolio Cover Sheet link on the Activities Database Main Menu.
- Click the ADD A NEW ITEM button to create the Portfolio Cover Sheet for your Portfolio Report.
- If you already created a Portfolio Cover Sheet for this review year, you should see it listed under the Items added to Portfolio Cover Sheet heading. To edit it, click the pencil icon under the EDIT heading to re-open it.
- Under the Section I heading, select the Type of Review (Year 1, Year 2, etc.).
- Click the SAVE AND RETURN button to save the Portfolio Cover Sheet.
- Click the Run Custom Reports tab on the Left Navigation Bar to run your Portfolio Report. Note: For information about how to run reports in Digital Measures, please review the Metro State Digital Measures User's Guide for Porfolio Preparation.
If you are using a Mac computer, you will want to ensure that the following software is at the latest version listed below and that you have all of the software below installed:• Safari 6.0 or Firefox 15
• Microsoft Word 14.2.3 or higher
• Acrobat Reader (current version)
• PDF Browser Plug-In (if you are using Firefox as your Mac browser) which is available at http://www.schubert-it.com/pluginpdf/
*** Please contact the Technology Services Helpdesk at 303-352-7548 if you need assistance with updating or installing the software listed above. ***
Note: When attempting to open a PDF file, if it opens and displays as unreadable symbols, click on the URL address bar to activate it and then click the Enter or Return key. The document should then display properly.
The service activities will display in chronological order based on the End Date, so you will need to add a date to the End Date field for each service activity in order to have the list display in the correct order. If you are still involved in a service activity, simply leave the End Date field blank, and the items will display at the top of the list with the date in this format: (year - Present) e.g., (2007 - Present).
Due to the fact that MSU Denver changed their faculty evaluation process to be based on submitting a Portfolio rather than a Dossier, we had the Digital Measures screens updated to reflect this change. For the Portfolio process, you will be using the Portfolio Narrative and the Portfolio Cover Sheet screens rather than the Dossier Narratives and the Dossier Cover Sheet screens. If you would like more information about the Portfolio process, please refer to the resources on the MSU Denver Digital Measures webpage at https://www.msudenver.edu/digitalmeasures/facultyresources/.
Faculty are required to prepare a Portfolio. They are not required to use Digital Measures to prepare the Portfolio.
There could be overlap in the information for the two screens. Think of the Professional Membership screen as the area to list the organizations that you belong to. The Service - Professional screen would list involvement related to your profession. For example, if you belong to a number of profession organizations, but you do not do much more than occasionally attend a meeting, you could list them within the Professional Membership screen. For the organizations that you may be involved with at the local chapter, serve on the board, organized activities, etc., could be listed within the Service - Professional screen.
Annual ratings are not included in the Portfolio.
You will need to select either "Published" or "Accepted" from the drop-down menu for the Current Status field.
You should upload your final Portfolio Report onto the Portfolio Cover Sheet screen under Section I. However, a link to your Portfolio Report will not display on the reports you run. A link is not necessary, because the evaluators will access your Portfolio Report from either the Portfolio Review Report or Summative Portfolio Review Report that will be sent to them.
The only way academic advising shows up is if you want to include it as an Additional Item for Review. It is not a Vita item, nor is it one of the “required” items to be included in the Portfolio Report, so that’s why it doesn’t display on the reports.