We have compiled a list of frequently asked questions regarding technical issues or problems students may have when working in Blackboard Vista. Please click on the question below to find the answer. If you can't find a response to the question you have, please contact your Online Support Technician for additional assistance.
Blackboard Vista Assistance and Open Labs
Computer and Browser Problems
- Supported Browsers
- Popup Blocker and Firewall Issues
- Vista works on one computer but not another
- I can't log in to Vista from work
Common issues and Error Messages
- You are not allowed to access this learning content
- You are not authorized to view this page
- Blackboard Vista session already running
- Unexpected system exception error
- Session timed out
Course or Tool Information
- I can't open a Chat session
- I can't see content or the attachment information in my course?
- How do I grant access to my students to view the chatroom logs?
- I can't attach a file to my assignment
- I can't start my quiz
- Links don't work or content pages don't load
|Vista works on one computer but not another|
If you can log in to Vista successfully from one computer but not another, then the problem is likely a browser or Java compatibility issue. If you are able to make changes on the other computer, then check to make sure that you are using a compatible browse and do not have any firewalls and/or pop-up blockers, that may be conflicting which your access to online courses.
|I can't log in to Vista from work|
If you can log in to Vista successfully from home, but not work, then the problem is likely a firewall, browser or Java compatibility issue. If you are able to make changes on your office computer, then check to make sure that you are using a compatible browse and do not have any firewalls and/or pop-up blockers, that may be conflicting which your access to online courses.
Many companies operate behind a firewall to protect the networked computers from viruses or other types of attacks. Contact your employers network administrator to determine the scope of the firewall and if changes can be made to make Vista accessible via your office computer. The main Vista application operates over the standard web server port 80, but the chat/whiteboard uses port 2304, so it, too, should be open to use Chat in your online course. Your office network may also have other mechanisms in place to block domains or web addresses. Our Vista domain is located at scholar.uh.edu If your company cannot change their firewall or network protection, then you must use another computer to access your online courses.
|Unexpected system exception error|
This error is usually the result of a temporary disconnect to data in the database. Please write down what you were doing when you encounter this error message and provide that information to your Online Support Technician via email. It is important to also note the date and time the error occurred. Try the following steps to resume working in your course, but send the details of the error regardless of whether you are able to resume working.
|I can't open a Chat session|
Tips for using Chat in Blackboard Vista
1. Check your computer! You must have Java installed for chat to work. Download Java. Also, if behind a personal or corporate firewall, you must open port 2304 to enable chat and whiteboard communication. Check the documentation for your personal firewall for instructions on how to do this, or check which your network administrator.
2. Be patient! The Chat applet takes a while to load (could be as long as a minute or more, depending on your computer and internet connection speed). It may look like nothing is happening, but Java is loading in the background.
3. Click once! Do not double-click the icons. Click only ONCE on the chat room icon to start. Double-clicking or clicking several times may cause your browser to freeze or your computer to lock up. This is true for clicking any link or URL online--you only need to click a link once.
4. Problems? If "Chat is unavailable" when you click on the chat room, log out and then log back in and try the chat again. If bumped out during a session, log out and then log back in and enter the chat room again.
|I can't attach a file to my assignment|
The process to attach a file from your computer to an assignment requires that a current version of Java be installed on your computer. A Java applet runs when you click the My Computer icon in the Choose Files window when adding an attachment to your assignment. This applet allows you to select and attach multiple files. Please check the Java settings and download the latest version of Sun Java.
Also, it is important that you do not use any special characters in the filename of the assignment file you are attempting to attach. The best rule of thumb for naming any file that is to be displayed or handled on the web, is to use only letters, numbers, dashes, or underscores. Do not use characters such as ( )~!@#$%^&*,":'?></|\ in the name of your file.