Work-Study for Graduate Students
Work-study is an employment program that provides paid jobs (typically on
campus) for students who need to work to earn a portion of their education expenses. Graduate students maybe eligible to receive federal work-study
Priority work-study funds are allocated first to students that earned work-study in the prior academic year.
Summer work-study is awarded in mid April. A WKSUM form must be turned in to the Office of Financial Aid to be eligible.
Federal Need Based Work-Study Criteria:
- You must have completed a FAFSA for the academic year;
- Your financial aid file must be complete for the academic year;
- You must remain enrolled in at least 5 credits;
- You cannot be on financial aid suspension;
- You must have an unmet need of at least $3,000 for the academic year;
- You must turn in a work-study form confirming your employment.
- Jobs are posted under Employment on the MSU Denver website at http://prod-banner.msudenver.msudenver.edu/pls/prod_web/bwmswkvj.P_DisplayMainPage.
- As a new Work-Study student, you will be required to provide your supervisor with proof that you are eligible to work in the United States. Please have a photo ID and a Social Security card, birth certificate or U.S. passport when you fill out your new-hire paperwork. If you are a non-citizen, you must have a Social Security card, an I-20 and your student visa to fill out the paperwork. The Office of Human Resources is located in Writer Square. The address is :
- 1512 Larimer Street Suite 800
- Denver, CO 80204
- If you have not begun a job by the third week of the academic term, your Work-Study award will be cancelled.
- You cannot earn Work-Study if you are on financial aid suspension.
- You cannot earn Work-Study if you drop below 5 credit hours.
- Monitor your earnings. This is your responsibility. If you earn more than your award each semester, the department you work for will be billed for the overpayment.
- If you are not awarded Work-Study and wish to be considered for this award, you should contact the Office of Financial Aid.
How Much Can I Earn?
The average award for an academic year is $5,000 (this may vary depending on funding). This is based on your available unmet need. The hourly pay ranges from $7.00 to $12.00 per hour.
How Do I Find a Work-Study Job?
Click for MSU Denver Work Study Job Listings
- A student does not earn work-study money after three payrolls for the semester;
- A student drops below 5 credit hours (Any hours earned during the payroll will be charged to the department);
- A student’s satisfactory academic progress appeal is denied.
Work-Study funds will be reduced if the following occurs:
- A student receives a scholarship or outside sponsorship award.
(If a reduction occurs during a payroll and the student over earns, the department will be charged the additional earnings).
Please see the Human Resources Website for policies and procedures regarding work-study employment.
Box 47, WS - Suite 800