Learning Communities and First Year Success
The heart of the Metro State First Year Experience
The First Year Success Mission
The First Year Success Program was created to increase student persistence, success and a passion for lifelong learning in a nurturing scholarly community. The program serves the needs of students through collaborative, engaging methods that:
- Foster on- and off-campus relationships;
- Connect learning to compelling issues; and
- Are culturally relevant.
Learning Communities & First Year Success
The First Year Success program is the entry point for all beginning Metropolitan State University of Denver students. Here students set the stage for future success through community-based learning, peer support, and a wide range of meaningful co-curricular activities. By the end of the program, students will have developed foundational college-level skills while making connections with faculty, other students, and the campus as a whole.
"The First Year Success Program is an ambitious educational program to empower and energise students with creative and progressive knowledge in their pursuit of happiness, leadership and professionalism."
- Dr. Robert Hazan, Chair, Political Science Department
FYS Program Benefits
- Guaranteed enrollment in high demand general studies classes
- Opportunity to interact and network with other students
- Personalized advising
- Peer support and mentoring
- Enhanced academic and social opportunities
- Greater involvement in learning
- Exciting activities and service opportunities
Read about President Jordan and Metro's commitment to FYS.