Honors and Study Abroad
Studying abroad, whether it be for a year, a semester, or just a few weeks, is an amazing learning experience. The Honors Program encourages all its students to study abroad in order to have the immersive learning experience that comes with living in a foreign culture. To support our students studying abroad, the Honors Program offers the following resources:
- Scholarships - several Honors-only scholarships are offered each year to help students pay for costs associated with Study Abroad. These scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis, and students are encouraged to inquire with the Honors office for more information, deadlines, and application materials.
- Honors Credit - Study abroad with an approved program automatically counts for at least 3 Honors credits, and students can petition to receive more Honors credit. This policy is in place to reflect the inherent Honors quality of the Study Abroad experience, as well as to encourage Honors students to undertake Study Abroad without the fear of "falling behind" in their Honors Program curriculum.
- Study Abroad Advisors - Your Honors advisor is well-acquainted with Study Abroad options, and will be able to help you navigate the process of choosing the right program, finding financial aid, and putting you in contact with other MSU-Denver staff who can help with this process.
- Honors Colloquium Maymester - The Honors Program plans to begin offering an annual Maymester travel course beginning in 2013. The Honors Colloquium is a required Honors course, and a travel version of the course will be offered in addition to the traditional classroom sections.
- Other Travel Study Programs - In addition to studies in foreign countries, the Honors Program also supports long-term domestic study programs. Examples of these include the National Collegiate Honors Council's "Honors Semester," Partners in the Parks Summer Programs, Service Learning courses through MSU-Denver, and many others. Scholarships for many of these are available through the Honors Program, as is more detailed information.
Many of MSU-Denver's Honors students choose to study abroad at some point during their studies, and the Honors Program pledges to fully support those students. If you have further questions, please stop by and visit our offices. For more information about Study Abroad in general, please visit the International Studies site.