The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) applies to educational institutions and requires the following:
- Students at postsecondary institutions must be permitted to inspect and seek amendment to their education records.
- School officials may not release personally identifiable information associated with a student's record, such as class schedule, GPA, student identification number or information pertaining to the student's academic performance, without the student's written permission.
- Institutions must ensure that all faculty and staff members are in compliance with this Federal regulation.
For additional information about FERPA, please see the Office of the Registrar's website.
The Department of Human Performance and Sport requires any student seeking letters of recommendation, or any other request in which the student's academic information and performance could be disclosed, from department faculty to complete a FERPA form specific to the department. Students who need to complete a FERPA for the department should:
- Complete the Department of Human Performance and Sport FERPA form.
- Deliver completed form to the Department of Human Performance and Sport main office in the PE Building, room 217.
- Be prepared to present proof of identification at the time of delivery (government issued ID or student ID are acceptable).
- FERPA forms for the Department of Human Performance and Sport will not be considered official and active until completed it its entirety.