Complete all MSU Denver Paperwork – Depending on your program choice, the forms will vary.
Passport - For any students going abroad, you must have a passport. If you already have a passport, make sure it is up to date. All information can be found through the Bureau of Consular Affairs.
Visa - Students might need a Visa for study abroad. Visa requirements vary country to country. Each student is obligated to learn if a Visa is needed for study abroad and to know the policies regarding the Visa. For students studying with a Program Provider, you will learn this information through the provider. All students should check the Entry/Exit Requirments for their study abroad location.
Pay Attention to your Program Provider or Faculty in Charge
Packing - Students are often overwhelmed by the prospect of packing for study abroad. While there is no perfect formula for packing, there are plenty of resources that can help. Most program providers will give students a recommended list. Also, you can find plenty of “packing lists” online from professional travellers and past study abroad students.
Monies - It is important to think about, and determine how you will handle your finances while abroad. Again, there is no one method, but here are some helpful hints
- Know your host country’s currency and exchange rate
- For Financial Aid, set up Direct Deposit
- Talk to your Bank & Credit Card Companies – Some banks have sister banks or agreements with other institutions that allow you to access your money at lower rates. Learn what fees are attached to using cards in foreign countries. And, make sure to tell your Bank and Credit Card Company of your travel dates
Learn about your host culture
- Get a guide book
- Pay attention to local news – many newspapers are available online and can be translated to English
- Learn the country’s history
- Watch local TV shows – thanks to Netflix, Hulu, Youtube and the like, this is pretty easy to do
Review What's Up With Culture - Online resource to help students prepare for cross-cultural communications
Attend an MSU Denver Pre Departure Orientation - For students studying with a program provider. PreDep's are held the end of each semester, and are mandatory for students studying abroad. Specific days and times are emailed out.