The MSU Denver IRB no longer accepts protocols proposing students as Principal Investigators. This holds true for students of all institutions that propose research to the MSU Denver IRB, regardless whether they are graduate or undergraduate students.
Faculty who supervise student research must list themselves and act as the Principal Investigator and their students as co-investigators. As Principal Investigator of student research projects, faculty are expected to:
- Teach student researchers how to design and conduct a research study.
- Guide student researchers in the development of their Requests for Review.
- Read and approve students' Requests for Review before submitting them.
- Submit student research projects to the IRB Chair, cc-ing the student co-investigators.
- Be the primary contact for the IRB Chair.
- Ensure all of the appropriate materials are included and that the required information is complete. We provide Forms and Templates that may help.
- Supervise student research to ensure it is implemented as it was approved by the Institutional Review Board.
- Ensure student researchers immediately inform the Institutional Review Board if they encounter unexpected outcomes or adverse events.
- Maintain data and document security.
Pilot Review Program for Student Research
In order to support student research, the IRB is trying a dual-system for reviews. The first is the typical review process for faculty research and student research conducted over more than one semester. These Requests take between 2 and 4 weeks to review and respond to, provided they do not require full board review.
The second is a pilot system to facilitate MSU Denver students' ability to conduct research studies for one-semester classes. The current Request for Initial Review form includes a mechanism for student investigators to indicate that they are conducting their studies for a one-semester class. Those reviews are prioritized so researchers can receive a Determination Letter in 7-10 days.
The priority review process is not available for students from other institutions.