Journey Through Our Heritage promotes self empowerment, develops leaders and engages students with community by increasing
their cultural and historical knowledge base through involvement in healthy competition, rigorous academic study and community servicethrough the use of history, creative arts, language, and cultural arts.
- To create a formal connection between Metropolitan State College Chicana/o Studies and African/African American Studies students with GED/ High School students state wide.
- To implement indigenous values, traditions, and practices to support youth through rigorous interdisciplinary academic competitions designed to challenge and inspire young minds.
- To embrace and promote diversity by broadening participating high school teacher’s ability to teach a more culturally inclusive curriculum, facilitate the infusion of cultural and historical contributions of Latinos and other predominant indigenous ethnicities, and provide avenues for the success of all students in order to increase achievement by engaging in culturally relevant activities.
- To engage, collaborate and work with the community by building relationships with program administrators, community organizations, schools and potential partners who desire to participate in the program.
- To prepare Metropolitan State College of Denver, Journey Through Our Heritage college mentors to take leadership roles in local, regional, national and international community based organizations.