Information for Request for Username (NID) Change
- The display name for your Email address (the part of your Email address that appears before the @msudenver.edu) is called your NID (Network ID). Changing a NID can lead to some serious complications such as corrupting your records and/or possibly losing your email address book and calendar information The username on Rowdy, Banner, Academic (student lab) and Admin will also be changed. In addition, you will have a new email account so people sending messages to your previous email address will receive a message stating there is no such address. Therefore, there must be a legal or urgent reason such as marriage or other legal name change, or the fact that the NID spells a profane or socially unacceptable word or name, before the NID will be changed.
- Note: It is recommended that NID changes only be made after grades for the semester have posted to help avoid some of the possible complications. This is a requirement if you are enrolled in an online class.
- After a legal name change, including marriage, you must first obtain a new Social Security Card that displays your new name. If you are a student and your name has changed, you must then take the new Social Security Card to the Registrar’s Office in SSB 160 to request a NID change. If you are a faculty or staff member and your name has changed you must then take the new Social Security Card to Human Resources in SSB 310 to request a NID change. Only after those official name changes have been made can we begin the process to change your NID.
- If the NID spells a profane or socially unacceptable word or name, contact the Help Desk at 303-352-7548 to request a name change.
- If you have read and understand the implications, and would still like to have your username changed, you will need to state in writing: 1) your request, 2) that you understand the implications and 3) that you would like to proceed with the username change.
- Please be aware of the following:
This process may take up to 48 hours to complete. During this time period, you will have no access to ConnectU.
Your new username will be automatically chosen by the system. There is no way for you to be able to choose what it will be.
- When you receive your new account, you will lose the following:
Custom layouts you have made to ConnectU
Group Memberships (if any)
Bookmarks entered in the bookmarks channel (if any)
Possible loss of email sent during the time with which you have no access to ConnectU for the switch-over