To be eligible to apply to the Accelerated Nursing Option applicants must:
- have completed a non-nursing baccalaureate degree in any field;
- have completed all pre-requisites courses;
- have a minimum recommended GPA of 2.5 in all pre-requisites courses;
- submit a personal essay; and
- submit a resume.
Applications that are submitted with one or more of the above criteria missing by the application deadline will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that all required documentation is submitted.
Application Deadline: September 1st each year.
A competitive selection process is completed for applications received by the September 1st deadline. The ANO does not maintain an ongoing waitlist. The application is available between May 1st and September 1st each year.
A Cohort of 44 students is selected based on the applicants' education, pre-requisite GPA, healthcare experience, certifications, volunteer experience, honors, resume, and personal essay. Applicants must also successfully pass a criminal background check and drug screen prior to admission. Admitted students must attend a required orientation with the Department of Nursing before beginning nursing courses.
In addition to academic requirements, MSU Denver Department of Nursing requires other information for students offered admission including immunization records, CPR certification, drug screening, and criminal background checks. Candidates must be able to meet the rigorous physical, mental, emotional and academic standards required to become a professional nurse. The admission process does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, creed, gender, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Application for the Accelerated Nursing Option at MSU Denver is a two-part application process. First the student must be admitted to Metropolitan State University of Denver. Second the student must apply on-line to the Department of Nursing.
Part I: MSU Denver - Steps for Admission:
- Apply to Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Go online to www.msudenver.edu
- Select the “Prospective Students” link on the left side of the homepage
Click on “Apply Now!”Complete/Submit the application. In filling out the application, for items:
MSU Denver Plans, check and select “Seek a degree with a major in (select) Nursing.” (Once you have submitted your application you will receive immediate notification via the web that your application has been submitted. Print this page and save it for your records.)
Application Fee: $25.00 – payable by credit card or check.
If you have previously attended MSU Denver but have not attended classes for the past 3-semesters, you must re-apply. No fee is required for readmission into MSU Denver.
Request all official transcripts from each college or university you attended to be sent to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Office of Admissions – Campus Box 16
P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217-3362
Once all transcripts have been received by the Admissions Transfer Evaluation Office - students will receive a copy of the “Official Transcript Evaluation.”
Students applying to the Accelerated Nursing Option transfer in with 90 credit hours from their previous Bachelor’s degree. The GPA requirement is calculated in pre-requisite courses.
Once you have been accepted to MSU Denver, a letter of “Admission” from MSU Denver will be sent via US Mail to the student, which will include the Student’s 900 – number. This number is needed on your application for the Accelerated Nursing Program.
NOTE: An accepted letter of admission to Metropolitan State University of Denver does not guarantee placement or acceptance into the Accelerated Nursing Option.
Once accepted to MSU Denver:
Activate your ConnectU Account - ConnectU is the University 's official means of communication with students, faculty and staff. Log in to ConnectU at http://connectu.msudenver.edu, click on New User and follow prompts to log in and set your password. For questions, call the Information Technology Help Desk, 1-877-352-7548. Computer access is available on campus in the Computer Labs, Auraria Library, and the Tivoli.
University Orientation - All degree-seeking students are required to complete an orientation as part of the pre-enrollment process. Go to http://www.msudenver.edu/nso for information, dates, times and locations. All degree-seeking transfer students who are 20 years or older may complete the orientation requirement online and should check their MSU Denver email account for instructions or contact New Student Orientation Office at 303-556-6931.
Financial Aid/Scholarship - Students interested can complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
- Contact Financial Aid, 303-556-8593, if you have questions after completing your FAFSA form and to ensure that your financial aid file is complete with all requirements.
- Complete the MSU Denver scholarship application.
Immunization - You must submit documented proof that you have received the MMR vaccination to the Health Center at Auraria, Plaza Building 150, T: 303-556-2525. Go to http://www.msudenver.edu/student/resources/health/immunization.htm for more information.
PART 2 – Steps to Apply to the Accelerated Nursing Option
- Before you apply - All students are required to have completed a Bachelor’s Degree in any non-nursing major. The degree must be posted on the “Official Transcript” prior to application to the program. In addition all pre-requisites for the program must be completed.
- Complete the Department of Nursing online Accelerated Nursing Application - The application link is located at the bottom of the page. Please be sure your MSU Denver Student 900 # is on your application. No paper applications will be accepted.
To be considered for the Accelerated Nursing Option, all documents must be submitted by September 1, 2013.
Please do not call the Department of Nursing for information on the status of your application. Staff members do not have information about admission decisions or application status.
- Complete the online Accelerated Nursing Option application. (No paper applications will be accepted.)
- Attach a resume and essay as one document to the application. The two-three page essay needs to address the essay questions as they appear at the beginning of the Accelerated Nursing Option application. Essay length is a maximum of three typewritten pages, double-spaced with your full name typed on all pages.
- To complete the application, applicants will need to have available all contact information, colleges/universities attended, prerequisite information, health care experience (organization and date), volunteer experience (organization and date), current certifications, and any academic, community and/or professional honors and awards.
- All required documents, application, resume and essay, must be submitted at the same time.
To apply for the Accelerated Nursing Option, you must have a non-nursing baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and completed all pre-requisite courses.
The application period is May 1, 2013 to September 1, 2013.