Admission to the Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Completion Option at MSU Denver is a two-part application process. First, the student must be admitted to Metropolitan State University of Denver. Second, the student must apply and be admitted to the BRNCO at Metropolitan State University of Denver.
Part I: MSU Denver - Steps for Admission:
- Apply to Metropolitan State University of Denver
- Go online to www.msudenver.edu
- Select the “Prospective Students” link on the left side of the homepage
Click on “Apply Now!” Complete/Submit the application. (Once you have submitted your application you will receive immediate notification via the web that your application has been submitted. Print this page and save it for your records.)
Application Fee: $25.00 – payable by credit card or check.
If you have previously attended MSU Denver but have not attended classes for the past 3-semesters, you must re-apply. No fee is required for readmission into MSU Denver.
- Request all official transcripts from each college or university you attended to be sent to:
Metropolitan State University of Denver
Office of Admissions – Campus Box 16
P.O. Box 173362
Denver, CO 80217-3362
**Once you've been accepted to MSU Denver as a degree-seeking student and we've received your official transcript, we will email and mail you an official transfer credit evaluation within 7 to 10 days. If you don't receive one within this time frame, please contact the Transfer Services Office at 303-556-3774.
NOTE: It is the student’s responsibility to provide the Department of Nursing with a copy of the official transcript evaluation and copies of all transcripts from each institution attended.
- Once you have been accepted to MSU Denver, a letter of admission from MSU Denver will be sent via US Mail to the student, which will include the Student’s 900 – number. This number is needed to register, to obtain a student email address and to apply for a student ID card.
- Once Accepted to MSU Denver:
Activate your ConnectU Account - ConnectU is the University's official means of communication with students, faculty and staff. Log in to ConnectU at http://msudenver.edu/connectu, click on New User and follow prompts to log in and set your password. For questions, call the Information Technology Help Desk, 1-877-352-7548. Computer access is available on campus in the Computer Labs, Auraria Library, and the Tivoli.
- Colorado State Residents - Complete the College Opportunity Fund (COF) application form at www.CollegeinColorado.org. (You will need to authorize the COF each semester when you register for classes through ConnectU.)
- University Orientation - All degree-seeking students are required to complete an orientation as part of the pre-enrollment process. Go to www.msudenver.edu/nso for information, dates, times and locations. All degree-seeking transfer students who are 20 years or older may complete the orientation requirement online and should check their MSU Denver e-mail account for instructions or contact New Student Orientation Office @ 303.556.6931.
- Complete the necessary assessment tests, if needed. For more information, contact the Assessment and Testing Office by phone at 303.556.3677.
Financial Aid/Scholarship - Students interested can complete the free application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov
- Contact Financial Aid, 303-556-8593, if you have questions after completing your FAFSA form and to ensure that your financial aid file is complete with all requirements.
- Complete the MSU Denver scholarship application.
- Student ID - Secure your student ID card and validation sticker at the Commuter Resource Center, Tivoli 269. Items needed: $10 (cash or credit/debit), a valid photo ID and a copy of your class schedule.
- Health Insurance - To qualify to waive MSU Denver's health insurance, go to MSU Denver Insurance Plans, or go to the Health Center at Auraria, Plaza Building 150, to complete Health Insurance Waiver Form. You are eligible to waive MSU Denver's Insurance if you are taking more than 10 credits in the fall/spring or eight credits in the summer and you are currently enrolled in a health insurance plan.
- Immunization - You must submit documented proof that you have received the MMR vaccination to the Health Center at Auraria, Plaza Building 150, T: 303-556-2525. Visit MSU Denver Immunization Requirements for more information.
- Registration - Register online through your ConnectU account, or meet with your advisor to discuss your options.
- Tuition Payment - Pay tuition and fees at the Cashier's Office, Central Classroom 107, or online through your ConnectU account by 5 p.m. on the Friday before classes begin.
PART 2 - Admission to the Department of Nursing
- Complete BRNCO application located below and submit to the Department of Nursing by April 15th. Copies of transcripts from all colleges and universities attended, a personal essay, and resume must be submitted with the application. Contact Ranae Shrader, Nursing Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-556-3668 with questions regarding the nursing program or application process.
- Optional advising appointment to review General Studies: Contact Shaun Boulier, School of Professional Studies Advisor, at 303-556-5084 or email@example.com. Bring a copy of your transcript evaluation to the advising appointment. Please direct transcript evaluation questions to the Transfer Services Office at 303-556-3774. If you are a student with a previous bachelor's degree that is recognized by the University, you do not need to complete any further general studies. Please click here to see the requirements for a second bachelor's degree. For readmission requests, please contact the Department of Nursing.
BRNCO Admission Documentation Requirements
Complete the Department of Nursing BRNCO Application – Please complete the application – and type in all information as requested, print, and submit with the following documents. Please be sure all documents are submitted together as one packet.
- Professional resume
- One page essay stating educational and career goals
- Copy of current unencumbered RN license in good standing
- Copy of health insurance
- Copy of transcripts
The following items will need to be completed 30 days before starting your first nursing course. The Department of Nursing will provide information and instructions.
- Completed criminal background check application
- Negative drug screening
BRNCO Clinical Documentation Requirements
Students planning to enroll in BRNCO courses with clinical components, NUR 4000 Community Health Nursing or NUR 4850 Nursing Senior Experience, must submit the following documentation four weeks prior to starting these courses:
- Current BLS Certification (American Heart Association for Health Care Provider)
- Professional Nurses Malpractice/Liability Insurance ($1,000,000-$3,000,000)
- Regulatory Training for Nursing Students (OSHA/JCAHO/HIPAA)
- General Health Status Statement
- TB (PPD) annual or QT Feron or Chest Xray
- Immunizations as follows:
- MMR 1st and 2nd or titer indicating immunity
- Hepatitis B – 1st, 2nd , 3rd , hepatitis B booster or titer indicating immunity
- Varicella 1st and 2nd or documented history of disease
Students may be admitted provisionally until all documents have been processed and successfully completed. All documents must be received before classes begin.
Please mail the complete packet to:
Department of Nursing – Campus Box 72
Metropolitan State University of Denver
P.O. Box 173362
Denver, Colorado 80217-3362
Or you may hand-deliver your packet to:
Department of Nursing
West Classroom 247
Upon acceptance into the Baccalaureate Registered Nursing Completion Option, students may register for NUR courses, and are required to attend a Department of Nursing Student Orientation. Information will be included in the student’s acceptance letter regarding the date, time and place of the Nursing Orientation and registration process for nursing courses.
Contact 303-556-4391 for questions or assistance with the admissions process for BRNCO.
BRNCO Application to the Department of Nursing
BRNCO Application ( 41 KB)
Please print, fill in, and send with the rest of your information.
Effective Fall 2010, admission to the BRNCO will occur once per year for August admission.
Application deadline - April 15, 2013 for August 2013 start date on the Auraria Campus.
Application deadline - April 15, 2013 for August 2013 start date on the Front Range Community College Westminster Campus.
*It is strongly recommended that students meet the above deadline date. Applications received by April 15 will receive priority. Applications received after April 15 will be considered on a space available basis.
Notification of Acceptance
Students will be notified by mail regarding status of their application.
All students are accepted on a provisional status pending the successful completion of a criminal background check, drug screening, and receipt of all required documentation. The Department of Nursing will designate official sites for these tests. Students will bear the expense of these requirements.
Nursing faculty recommend that students have no more than 6 credit hours outstanding with the general studies requirements before applying to the Baccalaureate Registered Nurse Completion Option.
Department of Nursing – Student Orientation
Upon acceptance into the Baccalaureate Registered Nursing Completion Option, students will be required to attend a Department of Nursing Student Orientation. Information regarding the BRNCO Student Orientation will be included in the notice of admission into the Nursing Program. In addition, students are required to complete the New Student Orientation required by the University. This can be taken online and does not substitute/replace the Department of Nursing Orientation. Please contact the “Office of New Student Orientation” at 303.556.6931 regarding information on the University orientation for new students.