How Can Roadrunner Island Be Used in the Classroom?
There are numerous ways faculty can incorporate virtual environment technology into their teaching. Here are some ideas at different levels to get you started:
- You can have a guest lecturer present a virtual location in your discipline;
- You can show your class a Second Life location/exhibit during class time;
- You and your students can go through the open Blackboard training workshop on Second Life;
- You can meet students in-world and go on a virtual field trip;
- You can conduct classes on Roadrunner Island;
- You can assign in-world, experiential activities to students (once students are comfortable with the technology);
- You can request custom teaching resources or locations to be built (conditions may apply);
- Second Life also provides unique research opportunities for scholarly projects.
Educational Uses for Second Life
|Demonstrations||Role Play Activities||Simulations|
|Research||New Media Studies||Collaboration/Cooperation|
|Language and Culture Studies||Academic Advising||Virtual Office Hours|
Direct link to Roadrunner Island