Software Procurement Procedures
Steps in the Purchasing Process
- Budget Approval:
Once a review of your software is completed and you receive a quote for your software, you will need to get preliminary budget approval through the appropriate account authority in your area before the purchase can be made.
- Provide Approval and Request to Software Services:
Once you have received approval, you will need to provide written proof of authorization (an e-mail from approving agent is adequate) and FOAP to Software Services via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to provide any information relative to the purchase. Procurement staff will then contact you to verify the request and obtain any other information that may be needed to process the request.
- Process the Order:
Software Services will work with you to ensure that your order is placed and processed via appropriate method of purchase, whether it is a Special Purchase Order (S.P.O.), Purchase Order (P.O.) or through a ProCard (Credit Card) purchase. Please note that the time to complete software purchases is directly dependent on factors such as vendor responsiveness and procedures needed to complete the purchase (contract review, payment processing, holidays, etc.).
- Software Delivery and Installation:
Upon receipt of your order, a member of the Technology Services staff will contact you, by phone or e-mail, to inform you of the arrival and make necessary arrangements for setup and deployment. Software and the number(s) of licenses issued will be recorded and tracked by Software Services prior to installation on your machine(s).
Steps to Expedite the Purchasing Process:
- Check for Existing Software Inventory:
Prior to calling the helpdesk or filling out the online form, contact Software Services to see if the software is available to you without cost. The university maintains a limited library of common software packages; you may not need to purchase the software!
- Work with Software Services:
If you do end up making a purchase, contact Software Services for assistance with finding approved vendors, getting quotes, and purchasing the appropriate licensing for campus use. Please be ready to provide documentation or links that you feel may help expedite the procurement process and ensure that your request is clearly communicated.
1. A technician can be dispatched to help you determine if your current computer configuration (RAM, hard drive capacity, equipment specifications or software compatibility) is compatible with your software request.
2. In accordance with the college policy Copying Computer Software: "University employees and students do not have the right to reproduce licensed software or related documentation". All software will be installed by Customer Support staff in accordance with the applicable licensing agreement. Installing the software on additional equipment is strictly prohibited.