Placement for Teaching
In keeping with national accreditation standards, placements for licensure candidates are made with teachers who are licensed in Colorado in the appropriate content areas, have a minimum of three years’ experience in their field of specialization, model good professional practice, express a commitment to inducting new teachers into the profession, and are recommended by their principal. Classroom and school sites are sought which provide candidates opportunities to:
- Demonstrate competence for professional roles;
- Relate theories regarding “teacher decision making in diverse contexts” to practice;
- Create meaningful learning experiences for all students;
- Study and practice in varied settings with different age groups, cultural groups, and exceptional populations;
- Dialog and reflect upon professional decisions and practice.
Official student teaching placements requests are made only by the Student Teaching Center through the appropriate designated officials whether at the district office or school building level.
Student teaching placements are not usually made:
- At the high school the licensure candidate recently attended;
- At a school where relatives or friends of the licensure candidate are employed;
- At a school where the licensure candidate is currently employed;
- At a school where the licensure candidate has children or siblings in attendance.
See the Director of Student Teaching for individual consideration.
Student teaching is generally available only during fall and spring semesters. The traditional public school schedule does not allow for student teaching during the summer months. The schedule of the year-round schools is not conducive to an appropriate student teaching assignment of 16 weeks.
Out-of-state student teaching can be approved on a case-by-case basis; the candidate must meet with the Director of Student Teaching to discuss the request and submit the signed Out-of-Area form approved by the education and major advisors and the department chair. Master of Arts (MAT) student teachers are not eligible for out of area placement.
At application, candidates submit three approved preferences for student teaching placement. Candidates are encouraged to research possible placements via the internet or site observation before submitting their choices.