Change Domain in Outlook 2011 Contacts for Faculty and Staff with Exchange Accounts
1. To transfer your contacts first open Outlook
2. Click on Contacts to open the contact section
3. Go to the Navigation pane on the left
- Make sure all of your contact folders, that contain contacts with the domain name needed to be changed, are selecte
- Click to expand the contact group for your Metropolitan State University of Denver email
- There will be a box next to Suggested Contacts, make sure that that box is checked
- This will ensure that the domain name will be changed for your suggested contacts as well
4. Go to the File menu and click Export
5. This will open the Export window
6. Below What do you want to Export? select Contacts to a list (tab-delimited text)
7. Click the right arrow to continue
8. The Save dialog box will open, type in the name of the export file and select where you want to save it
9. The next screen will inform you that Outlook has exported your contacts, click Done
10. Open Excel.
11. On the File menu, click Open…
12. In the Open window, next to Enable, select All Files
13. Find the .txt file you exported from Outlook, and select it.
14. Click the Open button
15. The Text Import Wizard will open, select Delimited and click Finish.
16. This will open the file in Excel
Change Domain Name
All of your contacts, whose email domain is @mscd.edu, will no longer be valid. Do the following to change their domain to the new @msudenver.edu
1. In the Excel file, go to the Edit menu > select Replace
2. The Find and Replace dialog box will open
- Next to Find what: type mscd.edu
- Next to Replace with: type msudenver.edu
3. Click Replace All
If when your click Replace and Excel does not find any matches for mscd.edu, do the following:
- In the Find and Replace dialog box, next to Search: select By Columns
- This should help Excel to find what you are searching for
4. A window will open informing you of the number of replacements made, click OK
5. Close the Find and Replace window
6. Click File > Save As and save the document as a Windows Comma Separated (.csv) file
7. Next to Format, select Windows Comma Separated (.csv), and then save the file
8. A warning window will open, saying that some features may be removed, go ahead and click Continue
9. All of your contacts’ domain name will have changed from mscd.edu to msudenver.edu and are ready to be imported into your account
1. Open Outlook again, and go to the Contacts section
2. Before importing your updated contacts, select all of the old contacts in outlook and delete them by either pressing the Delete key or by right clicking and selecting Delete. This will prevent you from having inaccurate duplicates of your contacts.
3. Click on File > select Import... from the drop-down list.
4. In the Import window that opens, select Contacts or messages from a text file, click the right arrow to continue.
5. Select the first option, Import Contacts from a tab- or comma-delimited text file; click the right arrow to continue.
6. In the window that opens, search for, and select, the .csv file containing the contacts, click Import.
7. In the Import Contacts window click Import, and your contacts will be imported and updated to the new domain.
- Note: If you see any fields in the right column, which are important to your contact information, you will have to map these files by dragging them to the corresponding field in the left column
- For example, Outlook may not recognize the field Business Phone Number, but you can drag that to Work Phone 1 which is the same field but one that Outlook recognizes.
- If there are fields in the right column, which do not matter for your contacts or if there are none, go ahead and click Import.
8. Click Finish to complete the import, and all your contacts will be updated
Update your cache to remove old auto-popluated email address
Please click and Download this Script: Outlook 2011 Clear Cache (56 KB). It is very important to remove the old email @mscd.edu address from the auto-populate feature of outlook to available undeliverable error messages. This script will remove all email address from the auto-populate feature, but over time with continued use, the database will re-add all of your fequently used contacts.