Choose a Security Method
There are two main methods of Encrypting or protecting PDF documents in Adobe, they are Encrypt with Certificate and Encrypt with Password
- Encrypt with Certificate- Requires the user to create their own personal Digital Certificate which they then later use to open the encrypted PDF. This option only allows the person with the Digital Certificate specified when the PDF was encrypted to open it, so it is a more restrictive option.
- Encrypt with Password- This option requires the user to enter a password to either open a document or to edit specific information in the document. With this option anyone who knows the password can open and/or edit the document
When you have decided what method of security works best for your purposes you can save that method to use again.
1. Go to Tools panel > Protection pane > click on Encrypt > click Manage
2. The Managing Security Policies window will open
- Here you can click on New to create a new encryption policy that you use often
- Select a policy that you create from the list and click Favorite to be able to see it under the Encrypt menu