1. Open a blank Word document
2. In the Mail Merge Manager, under step 1. Select document Type > click Create New > select Labels…
3. The Label Options window will open
- Under Printer information, select what type of printer you will be using
- Next to Label products: select the company that made the label you are going to use
- Below Product number: select what specific label product you are using
NOTE: it is much easier to make sure the label you are going to buy is on one of these lists before you buy it. Otherwise you are going to have to create your own New Label template, which may not be as accurate
4. Click OK when you have selected the label you are going to use
5. A template for each of the labels on the sheet will be inserted into the document.
6. Under step 2. Select Recipients List select what data source you want to connect to (see Choose or Create a Data Source for more information)
7. Under step 2. Select Recipients List click on the Add or remove placeholders on labels. button
8. In the Edit Labels window that opens, do the following:
- Click on the Insert Merge Field dropdown
- Click on the placeholder that you want to insert
- It will be inserted in the box below
- Insert all the placeholders you need and format the spacing in the box
- When you are done, click OK
9. The fields will be inserted into the labels
10. For step 5 Preview Results, click the View Merged Data button to preview the addresses, making sure all the formatting is correct
NOTE: depending on what type of formatting the label has, you may see a blank space for a placeholder that has no information. When you actually merge the labels and the data source the spacing will be corrected.
11. If you change any of the formatting in one of the labels, such as line spacing, click on the Fill in the items to complete your document button under step 2, to update all labels to match the one you edited
12. When you are finished go to step 6. Complete Merge and click on either:
- Merge to Printer button – merges directly to the printer.
- Merge to New Document button – merges to a file that can be examined and printed at a later time.
13. If you choose Print Documents… option, the Merge to Printer dialog box will appear, allowing you to set the desired print settings