How to Help Us Help Your Students
The MSU-Denver Writing Center can help students at any stage of a writing project, from finding a topic to organizing the content to producing the final draft. We can help students find topics, say what they really mean, plan and organize a writing project, document source material, avoid plagiarism, make writing less stressful, learn how to proofread their work, and more.
How to get your students to use the Writing Center:
- Mention the Writing Center in your syllabus.
- Schedule a Writing Center orientation in the Writing Centerto coincide with their first writing assignment. Go to http://mscd.mywconline.com/ to schedule an orientation.
- Hand out Writing Center stickers in class and walk students through the “sticking” process.
- Email the Writing Center flyer to your students.
- Remind students periodically that you recommend the Writing Center for all writers.
- Present visiting the Writing Center as a smart thing for all writersto do, rather than as a punitive measure for weak writers.
How to help your students get the most out of the Writing Center:
- Write detailed assignment sheets that students can bring with them to their Writing Center appointments.
- Provide models or anti-models of what you want.
- Encourage students to make appointments at the Writing Center.